The Road Home
- 2 1/3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and orange zest.
- Add the cold butter cubes and toss lightly to coat. Pulse until the butter is the size of small peas.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and heavy cream, and add it to the flour-butter mixture.
- Pulse to moisten the dough, then pulse until it begins to come together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead by hand.
- If the dough is too dry, add a few drops of heavy cream.
- Shape into a small disk, wrap, and chill thoroughly for at least 3 hours, or overnight.