The Road Home
Spaghetti alla CarrettieraIngredients:
- 26-28 oz strained peeled tomatoes (like the Pomi brand) or canned, peeled tomatoes that have been blended until smooth (either with a food processor, blender, or immersion blender)
- ¼ cup good olive oil (it is okay to use good olive oil here because the sauce never goes beyond a mild simmer)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Red pepper flakes- to taste (1/2 tea-1 tea)
- 1 pound spaghetti or thin spaghetti
- 4-5 oz chunk of Parmeggiano Reggiano, freshly grated
- Put the water onto boil and while boiling simmer the garlic together with the red pepper flakes in a small sauce pot over medium-low to low heat.
- Simmer the garlic and pepper flakes for a few minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic (you want the garlic to cook for a few minutes, until it “releases its scent” and is no longer bitter).
- Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt. You don’t want to over-do the salt because the Parmesan is naturally salty, you will want a lot of Parmesan on your pasta! Let sauce continue to gently simmer until the pasta is done.
- Throw the pasta in when the water boils and when the pasta is done, the sauce is done! Drain the pasta, mix together, and serve with a ton of fresh Parmesan cheese.