The Road Home
Pears in a Port Wine Cider GlazeIngredients:
- 1/1/4 cups Ruby Port
- 1 1/4 cups Apple Cider
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 ½ Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 teaspoons Grated Orange Peel
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- ¾ teaspoon Ginger Powder (or one teaspoon fresh finely chopped ginger)
- 6 Ripe Bosc or Red Star Crimson Pears, with stems, peeled
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Stir port, apple cider, sugar, cinnamon sticks, orange peel, cardamom and ginger powder in medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
- Using a small melon baller, core pears from bottom of wide end.
- Trim bottoms flat and stand upright in 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Pour all but a ½ cup of the sauce over pears. Set aside the remaining ½ cup for later.
- Roast pears until tender when pierced with a knife or skewer, basting pears with sauce every 20 minutes, for about 1 hour.
- Using spatula, transfer roasted pears to serving platter.
- Return the pan juices to the saucepan.
- Simmer until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a small bowl, discarding all solids. (This is optional. The sauce will simply be smoother if you filter out the orange zest before serving.)
- Spoon glaze over pears.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.