The Road Home
Peach Crostata with Honey Butter and Honey Vanilla GelatoIngredients:1 recipe Tart Dough (see below)Almond Filling
- 1 1/2 cups blanched, sliced, almonds
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched, sliced Almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 medium ripe peaches
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
2 pints Honey Vanilla Gelato (see below)Directions:
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll the chilled Tart Dough into a 12-inch circle, large enough to line the bottom and sides of a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press the dough into the sides and trim the top so that the dough is flush with the tart pan. Place the pastry shell in the refrigerator and chill until completely firm, about 30 minutes.
- To make the filling: spread the almonds evenly on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until light golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Allow to cool completely, then place the nuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped but not powdery.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and the confectioners’ sugar until very smooth and creamy. Beat in the egg, followed by the vanilla and the salt. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Thoroughly beat in the ground almonds. Set aside.
- To make the streusel: Melt the butter and set aside to cool. Place the flour, almonds, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the melted butter and pulse to form pea-size crumbs. Spread the streusel out onto a cookie sheet and chill briefly.
- Peel the peaches and cut into 1/4-inch wedges. In a large bowl, toss the peach wedges with the lemon juice, vanilla, flour and sugar. Spread enough of the almond filling on the bottom of the tart to completely cover it, and arrange the peach slices densely on top. Sprinkle the streusel crumbs over the tart. Place the tart on a baking sheet to catch any juices and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust and streusel are nicely browned and the juices are bubbling. Allow to cool completely before removing the tart from the pan.
- To make the honey butter: In a small saucepan, combine the honey and the insides of the split vanilla bean. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the hone is reduced by 2 thirds. Whisk in the butter until it is completely incorporated.
- Serve with a scoop of the Honey Vanilla Gelato and drizzle with the honey butter.