The Road Home
Oma’s German Apple CakeIngredients:
- 4 cups (250 grams) flour
- 2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons (250) grams unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- Pinch salt
- 4 Granny Smith apples cored and peeled
- Scant ¼ cup plain bread crumbs
- 3-4 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- Place the butter in the freezer for a least one hour before.
- Cut the butter in one-inch slices.
- Place flour in a large bowl. Add butter and sugar.
- Using a pastry blender or food processor, blend until mixture is crumbly and much of the dough is in pea size pieces.
- Add the vanilla, eggs and a pinch of salt. Mix until just well blended.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each into a ball. Flatten the ball to create a disc and wrap them each in wax paper or plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice the apples 1/8 inch thick, preferably using a mandolin so all the pieces are the same size. Set aside.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll out both halves to fit a 13 X 9 pan, preferably with a one-inch rim.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the apples, being sure to evenly distribute them on the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle 3 or 4 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar evenly over the apples.
- Take the second rolled out dough and carefully place it on top of the apples. Tuck in the dough on all the sides so an even crust will form.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until brown. Let cool in pan and cut into squares.
- Serve with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.