The Road Home
Israeli Couscous with Chicken, Tomatoes, and LemonIngredients:
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup matfoul or Israeli couscous
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise into 6 slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 strips lemon peel (2 inches each)
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or substitute)
- 1-1/2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add couscous, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl, and return skillet to heat.
- Cook chicken, smooth side down, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip, and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, lemon peel, and saffron, and cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Add wine, and cook for 4 minutes. Add stock, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and couscous, and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until couscous is tender and chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in peas, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve immediately with lemon.