The Road Home
- 9 egg yolks (*note from Gabrielle – save the whites, we’re going to do something with them in an upcoming post)
- 1/2 cup honey
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 plump vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk together with the honey and salt.
- Combine the milk and cream in a medium saucepan. Add the vanilla bean and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat. When the milk and cream come to a rolling boil, quickly whisk some of the boiling milk into the egg yolk mixture, then return the egg yolk mixture back tot he pot. Whisk well to combine the rest of the milk with the egg yolk mixture. Strain through a chinois or fine-mesh strainer and save the vanilla bean for future use.
- Chill the custard completely, then freeze in a gelato maker according the the manufacturer’s instructions.