The Road Home
Fig Goat, Cheese, and Caramelized Shallot SquaresIngredients:
- 1 ready-made defrosted puff pastry sheet
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 2 ½ cups of thinly sliced shallots (4 large shallots, or 6 small ones)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12-14 whole dried figs (3 ounces)
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 5-6 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ cup coarsely ground walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Roll out the puff pastry to a 10 X 13 rectangle. Poke a few holes in pastry with a fork (so it doesn’t puff up while baking.)
- Pre-bake the puff pastry until it is just slightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the butter with oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add the shallots.
- Cook the shallots on medium heat until they are soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir frequently, especially if you are not using a non-stick pan.
- Add the salt, and season to taste with pepper. Set aside.
- Place dried figs in hot water for 5 minutes. Drain and dry figs.
- Slice figs 1/8 inch thick, and then coarsely chop them (you should have ½ cup of sliced figs). Mix with honey and set aside
- Spread the shallot mixture evenly over the pre-baked pastry.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese, followed by the figs and the walnuts.
- Bake until the crust is golden and the cheese starts to bubble, about 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.