The Road Home
- 3/4 cup olive or canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ½ cups sliced shallots (6-12 shallots, depending on size)
- Heat oil and butter in a 12-inch saucepan over medium heat until it starts to bubble.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the shallots.
- Cook until golden brown, about 30 minutes (add more oil if the shallots start to burn) stirring frequently.
- Remove the shallots with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels. Pat down to remove excess oil. Once the excess oil is absorbed, place the shallots in an airtight container and use to garnish soups, vegetables, potatoes, and sandwiches.