The Road Home
Cardamom Scented Basmati RiceIngredients:
- 2 cups basmati rice*
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ¼ -1/3 cups water (depending on the brand)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ – 2 teaspoons cardamom**
*This recipe works for jasmine scented rice as well.
- Rinse the rice in a fine mesh colander 4-5 times until the water is no longer cloudy. Drain well.
- Melt the butter in a 4-6 quart heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- Add the rice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes until all the grains are coated with butter.
- Stir in the water and salt and bring the rice mixture to a boil.
- Mix one more time, and then reduce heat to low. Place a sheet of parchment paper between the lid and the pot and cover.
- Let rice cook for 18-20 minutes (depending on the brand of rice) until the liquid is absorbed.
- Take it off the burner and let the rice stand covered for 10 minutes (Do not lift the lid or stir!).
- Uncover rice and add cardamom. Fluff rice and serve.
**You may also leave out the cardamom if the dish you are serving is complex and does not need a boos of additional flavor.