The Road Home
Caramelized Shallots 1-2-3Ingredients:
- 8 large shallots, or 12 smaller ones peeled.
- 4-5 tablespoons canola or sunflower oil (or another oil with a high smoke point)
- Cut off the root of the shallots and quarter them
- Heat a medium size sauté pan and add 4 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the shallots and coat them with the hot oil. Break up the shallots with a firm spatula as they cook until all they have all fallen apart.
- Cook over a low-medium heat until the shallots start to brown, about 25 minutes. Add the last tablespoon or more of canola oil if the shallots stick to the pan
- Remove the shallots from pan and add to your favorite vegetable, stew, soup, or any place else you would use cooked onions. (You may chop or puree them as well.)