The Road Home
Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup with Crispy ShallotsIngredients:
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups leeks, chopped
- 1/3 cup shallots, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups fresh butternut squash cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 can pure organic pumpkin puree (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger finely minced
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 Bartlett pear, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 5-6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
- 4-5 tablespoons crispy shallots (see recipe below)
- 1/3 pound pancetta, sliced thin (optional)
- Heat canola oil in a 6-8 quart pot. Sautee shallots and leeks over medium heat until they are soft and glassy, but not yet brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree and stir well.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cayenne pepper. Stir and cook over medium heat for one minute.
- Add the pear and broth and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is hot, turn down the heat to a steady simmer on a low-medium flame. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the pears and squash are soft.
- Puree in a food processor, or with an immersion blender (you may also use a blender, but be sure to let the soup cool to lukewarm first).
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- Fry pancetta (optional) in a small frying pan over medium-high heat, until crisp, and pat between two towels to absorb grease.
- Serve with crispy shallots and/or crumbled pancetta on top.